SEASnet STUDENT ACCOUNT
- You can apply a new SEASnet Student Account if you meet all the eligibilities
- You can change your password by following the instructions here
- You can request to recover your username and/or reset your password by following the instructions here
- If you suspect your account has been compromised, change your password immediately and then contact the SEASnet Help Desk
- SEASnet User Agreement: www.seasnet.ucla.edu/user-account-policy
- CHECK YOUR OFFICIAL UCLA EMAIL FOR INFORMATION FROM SEASnet AND YOUR INSTRUCTORS
LAB LOCATIONS and HOURS
- Lab PC’s have most, if not all, software needed for you to do your coursework. A list of installed Windows applications can be found at: www.seasnet.ucla.edu/application-on-windows-lab-pcs
- All Linux applications are also available from the Lab PC’s, but you will need to start Xming to use those that require X-Windows. A list of Linux applications can be found at: www.seasnet.ucla.edu/linux-software
- SEASnet participates in various programs to offer software to our students for free or at a reduced rate, please visit our software download website at: www.seasnet.ucla.edu/software-download for additional information
REMOTE ACCESS: PC LAB APPLICATIONS – *UCLA VPN REQUIRED TO CONNECT
- You can remotely access most of the software available in the Lab PCs by using the SEASnet RemoteApps or Remote Desktop
REMOTE ACCESS: LINUX SERVERS – *UCLA VPN REQUIRED TO CONNECT
WINDOWS LAB ENVIRONMENT FAQ
- Before you logon, make sure you select the SEASLAB domain and not the local machine.
- Some applications are restricted to course work only and must be activated by your instructor or TA.
- Save all your work on the [Z:] drive ONLY. This is the same as your Linux home directory. Note that Windows directories: Application Data, Desktop, Documents, Downloads and some Windows specific folders (such as the recycling bin) storage resides in your Linux home directory. The storage space for your account has a limit of 3GB. We have provided a small buffer; however, you will experience problems if you ignore your storage balance and hit the hard limit. SEASnet sends out daily emails to users exceeding their disk quotas.
- You can customize your Windows environment by adding shortcuts, changing backgrounds, etc. Your customization will be saved in your personal profile and restored the next time you logon.
- ALWAYS logoff from your account when you are done by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and clicking Log Off.
LINUX LAB ENVIRONMENT FAQ
- If you have questions about anything in Linux, try the online manuals by typing man <command> or man –k <keyword>
- ALWAYS logout from your account when you are done by typing logout or exit
- Some basic Linux commands can be found at: www.seasnet.ucla.edu/how-to-use-basic-unix-commands