SEASnet provides support for courses within the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science. Instructors and TAs can expect assistance with the use of SEASnet lab facilities and other instructional services. However, due to the number of people and services we support, it is important that the academic departments and their instructors be aware of the policies regarding use of these services.
Account for miscellaneous class related work on both the Windows and LINUX instructional machines (ugrad.seas.ucla.edu). Note: please do not execute student programs in this account for security reasons! Remember to make a back up any of the contents of this account you wish to save before the end of the quarter, as it could get assigned to a new instructor/TA.
EXECUTABLE (XX) ACCOUNT FOR LINUX COURSEWORK:
Account for testing and executing student submitted programs on SEASnet’s LINUX servers (ugrad.seas.ucla.edu). Do not store any information in this account for security reasons. Files in this account will be deleted at the end of the quarter, but during the quarter you should clean up old submissions.
PUBLIC DIRECTORY FOR LINUX COURSEWORK:
where ch108 is the course you are teaching. Files/programs placed here are accessible by enrolled students only – use the command chmod to set access restrictions.
Your students are provided with a personal SEASnet account to access HSSEAS instructional computing resources. Students taking engineering classes can apply through the web: http://www.seas.ucla.edu/acctapp. Account requests take 1 business day to process.
SEASnet maintains four computer labs, two of which can be used for instruction. Lab location and hours are posted, with any modifications listed on the SEASnet Message of the Day. Additional information on the instructional media labs setup and reservation request can be found here: Instructional Media Room information.
The School’s instructional infrastructure consists of multiple LINUX application and home directory servers, and Windows AD and application servers. Students can log in to any of the LINUX servers (available 24/7), or they can log in to the SEASnet labs (see hours posted) or Windows remote servers (available 24/7). The Windows environment is basically identical, meaning that no matter what Windows machine the student logs onto, they will have their personalized setup. Users may only save files to their home directory.
Software Installation Requests
Because of SEASnet’s user-centric environment, instructors should not assume that software installed and working on their local desktop will install and run smoothly in the SEASnet labs. The process for installing software in our labs is very different and may require significant effort. Therefore, SEASnet has the following recommendation and requirements pertaining to software installation requests. Note: Lab and server software is typically upgraded each summer. SEASnet cannot upgrade software once the quarter has begun.
- All assignments to be performed in the SEASnet labs should be thoroughly tested by the instructor/TA prior to being assigned to students in the class.
- Instructors should speak with SEASnet prior to purchasing software for testing in the labs.
- A minimum of one quarter advance notice is needed for all software installations and upgrades.
- Software must be licensed and technically compatible for installation in all labs.
- Only SEASnet staff will have access to install software.
- Although we will do our best to accommodate those not meeting the requirements listed in numbers 1) and 2), no exceptions will be made with regards to the requirements listed in numbers 3) and 4).
Software purchased by SEASnet and used by multiple departments is updated either during the winter intersession or during the summer. Please contact if you would like upgrade information on a specific piece of software.
Additional Useful Information
- GENERAL INFORMATION: https://www.seasnet.ucla.edu/class-websites-and-myengineering/ and https://my.engineering.ucla.edu/help/index.php
- CLASS RESOURCE ACTIVATION: https://www.seasnet.ucla.edu/class-activation/
- ON-LINE SUBMISSIONS FOR COURSE ASSIGNMENTS: https://my.engineering.ucla.edu/help/instructor_ccle/assignment_solution.php
- CLASS MAILING LIST: https://docs.ccle.ucla.edu/w/Email_students_through_CCLE or https://my.engineering.ucla.edu/help/instructor_ccle/quickmail.php
- DIGITAL SENDER: https://www.seasnet.ucla.edu/digital-sender
- HSSEAS ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAM CLASS INFO: www.seas.ucla.edu/msol/msol_resources.htm
- ERESERVES LINK: http://ereserves.library.ucla.edu
- The ERESERVES LINK is currently undergoing modifications. To work around this issue, email the Science and Engineering Library reserve coordinator at , or contact Rachel Shim at .
- ERESERVES INFO: http://www.library.ucla.edu/use/borrow-renew-return/course-reserves/information-instructors
SEASnet Remote Server
The SEASnet terminal server is designed to provide access to our Windows lab resources from any Windows or Macintosh OS X computer with a high speed internet connection. The user need only install the terminal server client application. Detailed information can be found on the remote server at Terminal Server. No general software installation requests are taken for the remote server.