SEASnet manages several accounts including faculty, staff, graduate, and undergraduate. Passwords are kept and synchronized on the UNIX side.
Please read our guideline on How to Create Strong Passwords first.
The password must conform to the following requirements:
- Be 8 characters in length
- Have at least 1 letter and 1 number
- Cannot be a full dictionary word (hackers can use a list of dictionary words to break passwords)
CHANGING YOUR PASSWORD
Below are specific instructions for each account type. For users with restricted administrative accounts (eastaff), please go to this page.
Undergraduate Students: Connect to ugrad.seas.ucla.edu or double click the “ssh ugrad” icon on the desktop of a Lab Computer or Remote Session and log on using your SEASnet username and password.
Graduate Students: Connect to grad.seas.ucla.edu or double click the “ssh grad” icon on the desktop of a Lab Computer or Remote Session and log on using your SEASnet username and password.
Faculty: Connect to fac.seas.ucla.edu and log on using your SEASnet username and password.
Staff: Connect to staff.seas.ucla.edu and log on using your SEASnet username and password.
Once connected to a lab machine, remote session, or connected via SSH: (bold items are what you need to type in and italics are what you will see at the console)
- If you get asked Terminal type? [“help” to list examples] – Just press the Enter key
- Type in the command “passwd“
Changing password for <username>
Re-enter new Password:
password successfully changed for <username>
(For security reasons, you will not be shown any characters that you type.)
You will need to wait 5-10 minutes before trying to log back in with your new password.
FORGOTTEN USERNAME and/or PASSWORD
You can request to get your username and/or reset your password using one of the following 3 options (due to the closure of the Help Desk during this time, only Option 1 and 3 are available):
- Option 1 – Online
- Go to https://my.engineering.ucla.edu
- Log in (at top-right)
- In “My Profile” block, click “Change SEASnet Password”
- Then you can view your username or change your password.
- Option 2 – By coming to the SEASnet Help Desk (2684 BH) with your UCLA BruinCard (or other Picture ID) during normal business hours:
- Monday – 10AM – NOON / 1PM – 4:30
- Tue-Fri – 8AM – NOON / 1PM – 4:30
- We are closed from NOON – 1PM for lunch
- Once your identify is verified we can assist you in changing your password.
- Option 3 – By emailing the request from your UCLA Official Email Address as displayed in your account at my.ucla.edu. In the email, provide the following information:
- Your full name exactly as it appears on your UCLA BruinCard
- A screenshot of your current Study List from my.ucla.edu
- Specify whether you need to get your SEASnet username and/or reset your SEASnet password
- Email to: