SEASnet provides support for courses within the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science. Instructors and TA’s can expect assistance with the use of SEASnet lab facilities and other instructional services. However, due to the number of people and services we support, it is important the the academic departments and their instructors be aware of the policies regarding use of these services.
SEASnet maintains four computer labs, two of which can be used for instruction. Lab location and hours are posted, with any modifications listed on the SEASnet Message of the Day. Additional information on the instructional media labs setup and reservation request can be found here: Instructional Media Room information.
The School’s instructional infrastructure consists of multiple LINUX application and home directory servers, and Windows AD and application servers. Students can login to any of the LINUX servers (available 24/7), or they can login to the SEASnet labs (see hours posted) or Windows remote servers (available 24/7). The windows environment is basically identical, meaning that no matter what windows machine the student logs onto, they will have their personalized setup. Users may only save files to their home directory.
Software Installation Requests
Because of SEASnet’s user-centric environment, instructors should not assume that software installed and working on their local desktop will install and run smoothly in the SEASnet labs. The process for installing software in our labs is very different and may require significant effort. Therefore SEASnet has the following recommendation and requirements pertaining to software installation requests. Note: Lab and server software is typically upgraded each summer. SEASnet cannot upgrade software once the quarter has begun.
- All assignments to be performed in the SEASnet labs should be thoroughly tested by the instructor/TA prior to being assigned to students in the class.
- Instructors should speak with SEASnet prior to purchasing software for testing in the labs.
- A minimum of one quarter advance notice is needed for all software installations and upgrades.
- Software must be licensed and technically compatible for installation in all labs..
- Only SEASnet staff will have access to install software.
- Although we will do our best to accommodate those not meeting the requirements listed in numbers 1) and 2), no exceptions will be made with regards to the requirements listed in numbers 3) and 4).
Software purchased by SEASnet and used by multiple departments is updated either during the winter intersession or during the summer. Please contact if you would like upgrade information on a specific piece of software.
Please go to: http://www.seasnet.ucla.edu/class-activation/
SEASnet Remote Server
The SEASnet terminal server is designed to provide access to our windows lab resources from any Windows or Macintosh OS X computer with a high speed internet connection. The user need only install the terminal server client application. Detailed information can be found on the remote server at Terminal Server. No general software installation requests are taken for the remote server.